options for plotting points on geographic map

CM cmpython at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 20:39:52 EDT 2011

Recommendations sought for using Python to plot points/custom markers
(and maybe other things?) on a map of an area of the U.S. of maybe 100
miles radius.  (This would be a "political" map showing towns, such as
from Google Maps or Mapquest, and not a "physical" map).  I'll need to
place markers or something based on zip codes.

I see there is pymaps, a Python wrapper for Google Maps.  I may try
that but it seems to be barely documented and would require making a
webpage with javascript to display the map, whereas I'd probably
prefer a desktop app for this--though I'd consider a web page (it's
probably easier than I think).

I already use Matplotlib, but its Basemap seems to be only for
physical geography needs.

Are there other options one might recommend?  (It is a little hard to
Google for this given the map() function).

Thanks,
Che