Python 2.5 zlib trouble

Jesramz jesus.ramirez.utexas at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 20:36:45 EDT 2011

Hello,

I am trying to deploy an app on google app engine using bottle, a
micro-framework, similar to flask. I am running on ubuntu which comes
with python 2.7 installed but GAE needs version 2.5, so I installed
2.5. I then realized I didn't use make altinstall so I may have a
default version problem now. But my real problem is that when I try to
use the gae server to test locally I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/google/appengine/dev_appserver.py", line 77, in <module>
    run_file(__file__, globals())
  File "/opt/google/appengine/dev_appserver.py", line 73, in run_file
    execfile(script_path, globals_)
  File "/opt/google/appengine/google/appengine/tools/
dev_appserver_main.py", line 156, in <module>
    from google.appengine.tools import dev_appserver
  File "/opt/google/appengine/google/appengine/tools/
dev_appserver.py", line 94, in <module>
    import zlib
ImportError: No module named zlib

Can you help me with this?