Turkic I and re

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Thu Sep 15 09:02:27 EDT 2011

I'm interested to know the opinion of Turkish users of the re or regex
module.

When the re module performs a case-insensitive match, it matches 'I'
with 'i'. In Turkish, however, it should match 'I' with 'ı' and 'İ'
with 'i'.

The regex module at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/regex currently uses a
compromise, where it matches 'I' with 'i' and also 'I' with 'ı' and 'İ'
with 'i'.

I was wondering if it would be preferable to have a TURKIC flag instead
("(?T)" or "(?T:...)" in the pattern).

Without the Turkic flag it would match 'I' with 'i'; with Turkic flag
it would match 'I' with 'ı' and 'İ' with 'i'.