Easiest framework to develop simple interactive web site in python?

John Reid j.reid at mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk
Mon Sep 12 10:03:40 EDT 2011

Hi,

I need to write a web interface for some computational biology software
I've written:
http://sysbio.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/johns/STEME/rst/_build/html/index.html

I don't have much experience writing web sites or applications. Can
anyone recommend a python framework that will allow me to easily write a
few pages? I need to accept some user input in the form of some options
and download a potentially large file from the user's computer. The job
can take some time to run so I'll need to notify them via email when it
has finished.

I should say our group already uses an Apache web server so I'd like to
host the pages from that server.

I know there are various python web frameworks but I don't want to learn
a complicated one, I really just want the simplest tool for the job. Are
any of the following suitable?

Zope, Django, Pylons, Grok, Pyramid

I see quite a few are listed here:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebFrameworks