my suggestions for framework

Vineet Deodhar d_vineet at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 4 01:03:08 EDT 2011

> recomment a framework which has all the layers already integrated. Take
> a look at http://www.web2py.com, I think it's quite powerful and has
> good documentation.
> If you want to get your hands dirty you can compose your own "framework"
> cherrypy+sqlalchemy+cheetah might be a good combination.

How does web2py compare to django? I just started playing with django,
but don't know web2py

----

IMHO, django is suitable for CMS kind of apps.
AFAIK, originally it was written for a newspaper website, subsequently it has grown over the time.
I have tried turbogears(TG), django & web2py.

TG is like picking all good eggs from different open source projects. It integrates sqlalchemy, genshi, cheetah, pylons, for sql abstraction layer, templating system, web server respectively.
One can choose other options also, if desired.
-1 for TG is its complexity and not-so-good docs, too many dependencies.

django has very good docs & active community.
It is better in terms of simplicity & dependency as compared to TG.

web2py is vastly flexible, no dependencies, no installation required, just plug & play, very good community & docs.
Honestly, I did not find any -1 for web2py.

Of course, one has to form his/her own opinion.
On stackoverflow.com, there are plenty of threads which compare the python frameworks.

:-)
---Vineet