spawnl issues with Win 7 access rights

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Fri Oct 28 04:22:00 EDT 2011

On 27/10/2011 20:53, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 10/27/2011 6:36 AM, Tim Golden wrote:
>> On 27/10/2011 11:27, Propad wrote:
>>> the suggestion to add the optional second parameter fixed the problem,
>>> spawnl now works on the Win 7 computer I'm responsible for (with
>>> Python 2.2). So the suggested cause seems to be right.
>>
>> FWIW, although it's not obvious, the args parameter to spawnl
>> is intended to become the sys.args (in Python terms) of the
>> newly-spawned process. Which is why the first element is expected
>> to be the name of the process. It took me some time to realise
>> this myself :)
>>
>> Anyway, glad we could be of help.
>
> Can we make this fix automatic for Win7 to fix #8036?

It's tempting, but I think not. In principle, the caller can
pass any value as the first arg of spawn: it'll simply end up
as sys.argv[0] in Python terms. If spawnl were the way of the
future, I'd be inclined to argue for the change. As it it, though,
I'd simply apply the patch and, possibly, add a line to the docs
indicating that the args must be non-empty.

(I started to import the patch yesterday but something got in the
way; I'll see if I can get it done today).

TJG