__dict__ attribute for built-in types

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 22:48:32 EDT 2011

On Oct 28, 8:52 am, candide <cand... at free.invalid> wrote:
> No but I'm expecting from Python documentation to mention the laws of
> Python ...

It's not a "law", it's an _implementation detail_. The docs don't tend
to mention every such decision made because that's what the source is
for.

> But beside this, how to recognise classes whose object doesn't have a
> __dict__ attribute ?

The better question is: why do you need to be able to?

> Is it possible in the CPython implementation to write something like this :
> "foo".bar = 42
> without raising an attribute error ?

Why are you trying to modify an immutible object?

If you really want to assign attributes to string objects, subclass
str.