webapp development in pure python

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Wed Oct 26 09:06:14 EDT 2011

In article
<18902163.1637.1319614150053.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums at yqp37>,
 Rebelo <puntabluda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Try Pylons. Use html templates which get populated with data from your
> database and then just render them. If you just want to display data, with
> simple forms for editing and adding Pylons framework is more then enough.
>
> http://pylonsbook.com/en/1.1/
> http://www.pylonsproject.org/

If you're looking at web frameworks, you should also look at
http://www.tornadoweb.org/.  It's more of a HTTP engine than a
application framework, but has some elements of both.  We use it for
lots of small HTTP tools we write.

But, to go back to the OP's request:

> What I need is a programmable GUI with windows, event handlers and
> extensible widgets, for creating applications that use http/https and a web
> browser for rendering.

combined with:

> I need something that does not require javascript knowledge, just pure Python.

I'm not sure there's a good answer to that.  If you're talking GUIs,
windows, and extensible widgets, it really sounds like the kinds of
things you're trying to do are going to require javascript.  I'm not a
huge fan of javascript, but the reality today is that for any kind of
interactive UI in a web browser, you need to go there.  Well, or Flash,
but that's probably even more evil.

You might want to look at [[Dart (programming language)]], but that's
more of a research project than a tool at the moment.  Check out that
wikipedia page, however, it's got some pointers to other similar
projects people are working on.