webapp development in pure python

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 23:15:21 EDT 2011

Laszlo Nagy <gand... at shopzeus.com> wrote:
> My Python module would connect to a database server and query
> some data, then display it in a grid. This cannot be compiled into
> javascript because of the database server connection.

So what you want is for everything to happen server-side, with html
output sent to the client?

Perhaps you could build on top of ToscaWidgets. They encapsulate HTML
& JS, so you'll still need to work with them for custom widgets.

> With pyjamas, I
> would have to create the server side part separately, the user interface
> separately, and hand-code the communication between the widets and the
> server side.

That's pretty much true of all non-trivial web development, though.

There's a lot to be said for sucking it up and embracing traditional
methods rather than flying against common wisdom and cobbling together
something that works against web technologies rather than with them.