Python based silent installer, how to?

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Thu Oct 20 05:12:45 EDT 2011

On 20/10/2011 09:45, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
> On 20/10/2011 01:35 ص, Alec Taylor wrote:
>> Just download the msi (script is available to regenerate yourself) and
>> run it with the silent swtich, something like:
>>
>> msiexec /x nameofmsi.msi
> Sorry I didn't explain what I'm looking for exactly.
>
> I've packages built by bdist_wininst, Is there any way for install them
> silently?
> Or is there any way for convert them to another format (ex. msi) in that
> way I can install them silently.

If you can get the source (specifically including the setup.py
which I don't think is included in the wininst .zip) then you
can use that to build an msi:

   python setup.py bdist_msi

which you can then manage via the usual msiexec switches.

It's often available from the same source as the wininst .exe
and/or from the project's code repository. If not, you're down
to reverse-engineering a suitable setup.py. For many projects
this is pretty simple.

TJG