Benefit and belief

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Oct 19 18:12:54 EDT 2011

rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> writes:

> This division (into object and rest of the world) is arbitrary and
> historically a direct consequence of our scientific method; the use of
> the classical concepts is finally a consequence of the general human
> way of thinking. But this is already a reference to ourselves and in
> so far our description is not completely objective.

Yes, it's natural for humans to think in dualistic terms – thinking that
the self is separate from the external world – and that thinking is
unsupported by evidence so is probably wrong.

That doesn't argue against the position I've been elaborating, and it
doesn't say anything against objective reality. We humans are part of
that objective reality, and descriptions of reality need to incorporate
that fact.

--
 \        “I got food poisoning today. I don't know when I'll use it.” |
  `\                                                    —Steven Wright |