1/2 evaluates to 0

SigmundV sigmundv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 08:50:07 EDT 2011

On Oct 13, 10:04 am, Laurent Claessens <moky.m... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks all for your ansers. I'll import division from __future__
> Most of what I'm using in Python is with Sage[1]. Thus I'm not about to
> step to 3.x :(

You should get in touch with the Sage developers. In the Sage FAQ they
say that "until SciPy is ported to run with Python 3.x and Cython
supports Python 3.x, Sage will continue to use Python 2.x."

However, both SciPy and Cython are currently compatible with Python
3.2. From the Cython FAQ: "As of 0.14, the Cython compiler runs in all
Python versions from 2.3 to 3.2 inclusive." NumPy has supported Python
3 since version 1.5.0. From the release notes: "This is the first
NumPy release which is compatible with Python 3." SciPy has supported
Python 3 since version 0.9.0. From the release notes: "Scipy 0.9.0 is
the first SciPy release to support Python 3. The only module that is
not yet ported is ``scipy.weave``."

So according to the Sage FAQ there is no reason why Sage shouldn't
support Python 3.

Sigmund