shipping python

Kristen J. Webb kwebb at teradactyl.com
Wed Oct 12 22:09:38 EDT 2011

On 10/12/11 6:02 PM, Andrea Crotti wrote:

> Why do you want to use the system python and system libraries?
It is a standard, just like glibc on linux, I'd like my code should work
on the OS with minimal intrusion.
> If you want to avoid too much troubles and compatibility hell maybe
> give PyInstaller a try, you ship just one big executable and you're done.
> But apart from that setuptools is very good to know.
What about Solaris, NetBSD, FreeBSD, etc, etc.
If the executable includes bits from the openssl library, what about export
restrictions?
I'll take a look at setuptools, thanks.

> And also the world is a funny place, but does it really happen that
> a customer changes the code in your python scripts, and the *complain*
> if it doens't work anymore??

Yes, support costs with very knowledgeable clients is a very important factor.

Thank you for the feedback!
Mr. Kristen J. Webb
Teradactyl LLC.

PHONE: 1-505-242-1091