Testing properties that are date-related

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Fri Oct 7 12:28:55 EDT 2011

On 10/07/11 09:45, Ethan Furman wrote:
> Tim Chase wrote:
>> On 10/07/11 07:38, Peter Otten wrote:
>>>       def setUp(self):
>>>           foo.window_date = functools.partial(foo.window_date,
>>> around=date(2011, 1, 1))
>>
>> it worked like a charm.
>
> Another option is injection:
>
> import foo
>
> def window_date(...):
>
> foo.window_date = window_date

The problem is that I *want* the functionality of the existing
window_date() because that's part of what's being tested.
Peter's suggestion of injection to the module namespace via
functools.partial() to specify the missing parameter was the tip
I needed to be able to write tests that exercised things properly
without overly invasive changes to the code.  But thanks for your
idea.

-tkc