Implementing Python-OAuth2

Jeff Gaynor jgaynor at ncsa.illinois.edu
Thu Oct 6 12:15:52 EDT 2011

On 10/06/2011 08:34 AM, Kayode Odeyemi wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> I'm working on a pretty large application that I will like to use
> oauth2 on as an authentication and authorization mechanism.
>
> I understand fairly the technology and I have written my own
> implementation before I stumbled on python-oauth2.
>
> I need advise on leveraging python-oauth2 api for creating consumer
> key, creating consumer secret, access token and token secret.

This works well, but be advised that the original python oauth library
had some serious issues, so was redone as python-oauth2. What is
confusing is that it refers to OAuth version 1.0a, not the upcoming
OAuth version 2.0, so make sure you read the right spec before using it,
since they are very different indeed.

There are *no* usable OAuth version 2..0 implementation in any language
(usually Java comes first) that I know of, so you will get to role your
own, which is hard. There are a few beta-level versions E.g. Twitter)
but these are special cased to the author's needs. The spec itself is
not quite ready either and since it has changed quite substantially in
the last year, I suspect that everyone is waiting to see it settle to a
steady state.

Jeff