[OT] Chaos Theory [was Re: Benefit and belief]

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sat Oct 1 23:52:44 EDT 2011

Gregory Ewing wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> By the way, who removed the OT label from the subject line?
>
> Probably nobody "removed" it, they just replied to some earlier
> message that didn't have it.

I started the "Benefit and belief" sub-thread, changing the subject line
from "suggested coding style", and included a [OT] tag. So there was no
earlier message of that subject without a tag to reply to.

You know, I suspect this thread is a good example of chaos theory in
action... for something that started off about coding styles, it has ended
up in some fairly strange places...

> Despite the term, a newsgroup thread is not a linear structure,
> it's a tree. Changing the subject line on one branch doesn't
> magically affect the other branches.

I know that. I also know that it is irrelevant in this case. If your mail or
news client has a threaded view, you can see for yourself who removed the
tag. I was just being polite by not singling him out by name :)

--
Steven