locate executables for different platforms

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 10:00:03 EDT 2011

Suppose that I have a project which (should be)/is multiplatform in python,
which, however, uses some executables as black-boxes.

These executables are platform-dependent and at the moment they're just
thrown inside the same egg, and using pkg_resources to get the path.

I would like to rewrite this thing being able to:
- detect the OS
- find the right executable version
- get the path and run it

It would be nice to still be able to use pkg_resources, but at that
point I think
I would need to store all the executables in another egg, is that correct?
Is there already something available to manage external multi-platform
executables?

Thanks,
Andrea