services/daemons

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 10:22:00 EDT 2011

Running pypiserver as a service?

I'm writing some scripts which in theory should be able to:
- start up a local pypi server as a daemon (or well a service on Windows)

- run "python setup.py develop" on a potentially very big set of eggs,
   possibly discovering automatically for changes.
   In theory using develop changes should be automatically seen, but if I
   move/rename something of course things might not work anymore.

- run/debug/develop applications using this big set of eggs.
   On the distutils list it was suggested to use the "-m" option to
   easy_install, which avoids writing on the global easy_install.pth,
   which is one of the current problems.

For the first one reading I thought I might use pypiserver (which ships
also as a single file) and create a windows service/unix daemon from it.

For the second I've seen watchdog:
https://github.com/gorakhargosh/watchdog/ which looks interesting.

As last thing the whole process should be as transparent and robust as
possible, anyone did something similar or has suggestions?