question on installing python 2.7.2 and tcl 8.5.10 on WinXP

Lynn Oliver raycores at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 03:26:23 EDT 2011

Hello,

I'm having problems building tcl/tk and python on Windows XP so that both are installed correctly.

1. ActivePython 2.7.2.5 works fine on my system but may be implicated in recent R6034 runtime errors from users.

2. Python.org 2.7.2 msi binaries install fine, but produce a "tcl wasn't installed correctly" runtime error from pyinstaller builds.

3. I built Python.org 2.7.2 sources using MSVC++ 2008 Express with a lot of manual work for the subprocess wrappers. The buildbot tools, which should more or less automate that process, did not work for me.

4. I can build tcl/tk 8.5.10 using MinGW/Msys.

5. When I built the tkinter component, I placed the build of tcl/tk where it was expected by the build scripts, and VC++ reported that the build was successful.  However, if I start python.exe from the build directory, I can't import Tkinter (or tkinter).

I feel like I must be missing some basic understanding of how and where things are installed; having completed the builds I still don't know how to install the resulting files into the correct directories.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,
Lynn