Using the Python Interpreter as a Reference

Travis Parks jehugaleahsa at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 16:29:06 EST 2011

On Nov 28, 3:40 pm, Gregory Ewing <greg.ew... at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Travis Parks wrote:
> > I thinking tabs are
> > out-of-date. Even the MAKE community wishes that the need for tabs
> > would go away
>
> The situation with make is a bit different, because it
> *requires* tabs in certain places -- spaces won't do.
> Python lets you choose which to use as long as you don't
> mix them up, and I like it that way.
>
> > let Parse = public static method (value: String)
> > throws(FormatException UnderflowException OverflowException)
>
> Checked exceptions? I fear you're repeating a huge mistake
> going down that route...
>
> --
> Greg

Exception handling is one of those subjects few understand and fewer
can implement properly in modern code. Languages that don't support
exceptions as part of their signature lead to capturing generic
Exception all throughout code. It is one of those features I wish .NET
had. At the same time, with my limited experience with Java, it has
been a massive annoyance. Perhaps something to provide or just shut
off via a command line parameter. What indications have there been
that this has been a flaw? I can see it alienating a large group of up-
and-coming developers.