sick of distribute, setup, and all the rest...

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 23:37:41 EST 2011

rusi <rustompm... at gmail.com> wrote:
> While Ive never seen anything as ridiculous as the debian-rails in the
> python world, its still always a hobson choice:  use a deb package
> that will cleanly install, deinstall, upgrade etc but is out of date
> or use a fresh and shiny egg that messes up the system.

The only time I use the OS package manager to install a Python library
is if some other application requires it as a dependency.

If you're not making the distinction between your system install of
Python and your development install, you're really inviting a whole
world of pain and confusion on yourself.

With that approach in mind, I've never had any real issues using pip,
virtualenv etc for managing my development environment.