suitability of python

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Sun Nov 27 12:19:27 EST 2011

On 2011-11-24, Rudra Banerjee <bnrj.rudra at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a newbie in python and basically i use python for postprocessing
> like plotting, data manipulation etc.
> Based on ease of programming on python I am wondering if I can consider
> it for the main development as well. My jobs (written on fortran) runs
> for weeks and quite CPU intensive. How python works on these type of
> heavy computation?

You'll have to tell us what "these type of heavy computation" are
before we can answer.  There are a _lot_ of heavy-duty computational
libraries (many of them written in FORTAN) that have been interfaced
to Python (BLAS and so on).  If the heavy lifting can be done by those
libraries, Python might be very suitable.

You might want to check out scipy, Scientific Python, and the
Enthought python distro.

http://www.scipy.org/
http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/plone/software/scientificpython/overview/
http://www.enthought.com/products/epd.php