What I do and do not know about installing Python on Win 7 with regard to IDLE.

Mark Tolonen metolone at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 23:26:31 EST 2011

On Nov 25, 11:52 am, Sibylle Koczian <nulla.epist... at web.de> wrote:
> Am 25.11.2011 01:16, schrieb Steven D'Aprano:
>
> > As far as I can tell, nobody running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 has
> > chimed in to either confirm or refute W. eWatson's claim that IDLE
> > doesn't show up, so we have no way of telling whether it doesn't show up
> > due to a lack in the installer, or because eWatson has (slightly) broken
> > his system and has inadvertently prevented it from showing up.
>
> I'm using Python 3.2.2 on Windows 7, 64 bit, and I get "Edit with IDLE"
> and "Edit with PythonWin" in my context menu. I installed Python from
> the Python.org site, the Windows extensions from Sourceforge, both of
> them for all users and without any changes to the standard installation
> or to file associations.
>
> This isn't the first Python 3 version on this machine, I don't know if
> that might be relevant.
>
> But it's a fact that changing the applications shown in the context menu
> for a file association isn't obvious any more on Windows 7.
>
> HTH
> Sibylle

I'm also using Python 2.7 and Python 3.3 on Windows 7, 64-bit, and
have both "Edit" menu items as well.

Changing the application defaults is now in "Default Programs" right
on the Start Menu.  It's more "obvious" than the old location, but the
old location is just known by more people and Microsoft loves to move
things around.

-Mark