What I do and do not know about installing Python on Win 7 with regard to IDLE.

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Thu Nov 24 19:16:06 EST 2011

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 00:18:44 +0100, Alexander Kapps wrote:

> Now, we are talking about Python 3.2.* on Win7, correct? I only have
> Win7 32bit in a VBox VM, but still.

I believe that W. eWatson's problems occurred when he installed a 32-bit
version of Python 3.2 on a 64-bit version of Windows 7. Either the 32-bit
installer doesn't set the default file associations correctly on 64-bit
systems, or W. eWatson has mangled his registry by making arbitrary
changes to file associations, and now even the correct 64-bit installer
can't set the associations correctly.

As far as I can tell, nobody running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 has
chimed in to either confirm or refute W. eWatson's claim that IDLE
doesn't show up, so we have no way of telling whether it doesn't show up
due to a lack in the installer, or because eWatson has (slightly) broken
his system and has inadvertently prevented it from showing up.

Fixing the associations is a Windows issue, not a Python issue. Even if
it turns out that the installer does neglect to set up menu commands for
IDLE (which should be reported as a feature request on the bug tracker),
this is not a problem best solved here, although we can do our best. It
would be best solved on a Window forum, where experts on Windows can give
advice.

--
Steven