Does py2app improves speed?

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 03:04:02 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Ricardo Mansilla
<rick.mansilla at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone..
> My question is exactly as in the subject of This Mail.
> I have made a Python  script which is to slow and i have heard (and common sense also suggest) that if you use some libraries to "frozen" the script the performance improves substantially. So I need to know; is This a myth or it is a fact?
> Thanks in advance for your time.

I would not expect any speedup.  You might see some difference in
Python interpreter running your script, and that's not going to run
any faster.

I had a coworker who wrapped up one of his applications with py2exe /
pyInstaller on the theory that since his program would be run from a
network share, it would be faster to load a single exe over the
network than a bunch of .pyc files plus the files needed to run the
interpreter.  I can't tell any difference, though.

Cheers,
Ian