What I do and do not know about installing Python on Win 7 with regard to IDLE.

Alan Meyer ameyer2 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 22:45:41 EST 2011

On 11/22/2011 3:05 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:29:18 -0500, Alan Meyer<ameyer2 at yahoo.com>
>
>> On 11/22/2011 1:55 PM, Alan Meyer wrote:
>>> 6. Select, or navigate to and select, the python IDLE interpreter.
>> On my system that's
>>     C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\pythonwin\Pythonwin.exe
>>
> 	Note that this is not the Tk based IDLE (which is implemented,
> itself, as a .pyw file and is not natively executable -- which seems to
> be one of the problems; Win7 has removed the detailed file type
> association windows so you can't specify that the "application" is
> pythonw.exe running idle.pyw using one's selected file as the argument
> to the mess).

Bummer!

Sorry W.eWatson, my instructions may not work.  I've got the ActiveState
Python on my Windows machine.  It runs a .exe file as the IDLE
executable.  If your implementation doesn't have an exe then you're
going to have to do some more complex work.

Since I don't have the version of Python from python.org under Windows,
I can't really advise on what to do with that.  If you haven't got an
exe, my instructions will only work if you install the ActiveState
version, which does have one.

     Alan