What I do and do not know about installing Python on Win 7 with regard to IDLE.

W. eWatson wolftracks at invalid.com
Tue Nov 22 11:12:13 EST 2011

On 11/21/2011 3:07 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 11/21/2011 11:39 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
>>
>> My criterion for success is that it puts IDLE as a choice for editor on
>> the menu produced with a right-click on a py file.
>
> Your first criterion for success should be that IDLE runs at all, which
> is apparently does not. How you run it is secondary.
>
> Right-click responses are controlled by Windows using data in the
> registry. Windows modifies the registry in response to installers *and
> users*. The ActiveState installers request 'Edit with PythonWin'. They
> do not request 'Edit with IDLE' and it is foolish to complain to us when
> you use ActiveState and get their choice of context choices.

ActiveState. Am I missing something? I'm running 64-bit Python
downloaded from the Python organization's web site.l

> The PSF .msi installers (.msi = MicroSoftInstall format) from python.org
> request 'Edit with IDLE' but cannot make Windows put it in. If your
> registry is messed up enough, it does not happen. But no error message.
>
> I have explained to you another way to work with IDLE once it runs. It
> you refuse to use it, that is your problem, not ours.
>
>> I know it sets up that way on a 2.5 and 2.4 on other PCs I have.
>
> You installed with the PSF installer with an ok registry.

PSF? What does "ok registry" mean?

>> I know at one time it worked on my 64-bit Win 7 PC, which likely had a
>> 32-bit version installed on it. After something like six months of
>> modest use it stopped working as above. No IDLE choice.
>
> So some *other* program messed things up. Stop blaming us.
> Heavy or modest use in the meantime is irrelevant.
I'm blaming you??? I was just providing data for whatever it might be
worth. I'm also suggesting that I do not have years of experience with
Python.

>> I know by installing a 64-bit version, 3.2.2 failed the IDLE criterions
>> as described. No IDLE.
>
> Did you uninstall the 32 bit version, and best, all Python versions?
>
>> I do know that IDLE appears on the Win 7 Start menu, but, when used,
>> nothing happens. Well, OK, for about 3 seconds the Win 7 "working" icon
>> spins around then zip, nothing.
>
> This is your real problem. Stop worrying about the context menu.

I would expect consistency through all Python org releases. Should I put
consistency in really bold letters with a 30 point font? :-)

>  > Further, right-clicking on Properties of
>> IDLE (GUI) produces a tabbed dialog. It shows Start in: c:\Python32\,
>
> This is the Shortcut tab. A shortcut is like a bound method. The
> function is the target: 'python 3.2.2 (64 bit)' on my machine. The
> starting directory is like a bound argument, although it is passed to
> the launcher that launches the function. What the Properties dialog does
> not show are the actual 'bound arguments' that are passed to the target
> as options. So one cannot know what the shortcut is actually trying to
> do. This is one of the Really Stupid things about Windows that should
> have been fixed long ago but has not.

I never use the shortcut on the Start menu. I mentioned the Start menu,
since it might have some relevance.

>> and None for shortcut.
>
> None for Shortcut key, such as alt-I to invoke the shortcut.
>
>> There is a compatibility tab, which I've set to
>> Win7. I think there's a troubleshooter there too, but I haven't used it.
>> Under the Details tab, it shows Name: IDLE(Python Gui).lnk. Folder Path
>> as: c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start... Nothing after the "...".
>
> Details: Folder Path is the same as General: Location. Mouse over the
> latter the the full path appears. That Properties windows are still
> fixed at 480 pixel wide, regardless of screen size, is another Really
> Stupid thing.

Yes, I finally realized I could mouse over it.

>> Going directly to ...\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw produces the spinning icon.
>> At least, that's what happens in 3.2.2, but in the 32-bit versions I
>> tried, I would get "invalid Win 32 app".
>
> If the registry entry for .pyw is messed up, trying to run the file by
> clicking on it is not likely to work. Try running from Command Prompt,
> as I believe others suggested.

I'm not trying to run the program, I'm trying to edit. Several times in
these threads I've mentioned I can execute python from the command line.

>> When I rebooted my system a few hours after installing 3.2.2, because
>> the PC was running really slowly--not because of Python, I was greeted
>> by a couple of interesting messages as the desktop was populated.
>>
>> I can execute Python from the command line.
>>
>> 1. Specified module could not be found: Load Lib, python.dll.
>>
>> 2. \ProgramFiles(x86)\uniblueDrivers\Scanner (x86) Python26.dll.
>
> The uniblue drivers program will match your drivers against a database
> of up-to-date drivers and offer to upgrade them. I have used uniblue's
> registry scanner program. Treating pythonxy.dll as a driver, if they
> are, is an error. These are paid programs. The free demos only scan to
> tell you what they would do if you bought them.

Yes. Just Winamp looking for $$$.

>  > I'm sure this is related to Winamp, which I had installed a month ago.
>
> I do not believe they are the same companies, but they may have a
> cross-promotion deal.
Evidently.

>> had some "crazy" choice to scan for new drivers. Of course, if it found
>> one-connected with Python, and if you wanted it, $$$. I think this
>> message is a red herring. I may re-install Winamp to get rid of that
>> uniblue tool that seems like nothing more than an ad.
>>
>> Some have suggested a registry problem, but I don't have a clue how to
>> play with that, or somehow clean it up, if there is a problem. My PC
>> behaves normally
>
> If you ran the psf 3.2.2 installer and idle does not run when you click
> the start menu shortcut, something is wrong.
Of course. Assuming psf means something like python software foundation.

>> Someone suggested using the mail list at
>> <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list>. What's different
>> about that list than this NG? Does the "org" suggest that the
>> inhabitants of that list are more likely associated with the people who
>> are responsible for constructing Python?
>
> Python list is mirror to comp.lang.python which is mirrored to a google
> group. It is also mirrored to gmane.comp.python, which is how I read and
> post. There is some spam filtering if you use the python.org list or
> gmane group.

Good. Then I don't need it.