sqlalchemy beginner

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Nov 21 22:18:05 EST 2011

In article
<8832ab6d-8def-45d1-92df-baac40e1c498 at t36g2000prt.googlegroups.com>,
 alex23 <wuwei23 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 22, 10:25 am, Roy Smith <r... at panix.com> wrote:
> > Everytime I've worked with SQLAlchemy, I've run away screaming in the
> > other direction.  Sure, portability is a good thing, but at what cost?
>
> I've never found SQLAlchemy to be anything but sane and approachable.
> It's really worth understanding _how_ it works so you can see there's
> no magic happening there.
>
> What cost do you see inherit in the use of SQLAlchemy?

The cost of understanding how it works :-)

Seriously.  I understand SQL.  Well, I'm not a SQL wizard, but I
understand enough to do what I need to do.  Whenever I have to use
SQLAlchemy, I always find myself knowing exactly what SQL I want to
write and scratching my head to figure out how to translate that into
SQLAlchemy calls.