Non-POSIX parity (mark/space) with Python-Serial on Linux.

David Riley fraveydank at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 12:50:17 EST 2011

On Nov 21, 2011, at 12:25 PM, gene heskett wrote:

> And that is 9600 baud 8n1 on both ends.  Ascii is normally 7 bit and will
> have a low 8th bit if fed normal ascii data, so how is the 8th bit getting
> set other than purposely setting 7M1 on the other end of the cable?

That's what I thought the OP was doing; it sounds like he's trying to receive 7M1 in Minicom using 8N1 on the terminal and getting garbled data because the high bit is set (because the other end is sending 7M1).  I never meant to imply that 8N1 would give garbled data if both ends were set to it; indeed, that's pretty much standard communications settings for short cables in low to moderate noise environments.  If anyone else read it that way, that's not what I meant. :-)

- Dave