Python 2.7.2 on Win7 and IDLE (Try it)

W. eWatson wolftracks at invalid.com
Sat Nov 19 00:28:39 EST 2011

On 11/18/2011 9:03 PM, W. eWatson wrote:

>>> 3.3.2? I do not see that in his single message I found. I see a 3.2.2
>>> release on <http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.2.2/>. Google
>>> shows me nothing for 3.3.2.
>>>
>>> I see:
>>> * Windows x86 MSI Installer (3.2.2) (sig) and Visual Studio debug
>>> information files (sig)
>>> * Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (3.2.2) [1] (sig) and Visual Studio debug
>>> information files (sig)
>>>
>>> Visual Studio???? I hope I don't need VS!
>>
>> If you look more closely you'll see that there are 5 links on each line:
>>
>> Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (3.2.2)
>> [1]
>> (sig)
>> Visual Studio debug information files
>> (sig)
>>
>> Unless you intending to work on the sources, you need just the first
>> one:
>>
>> Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (3.2.2)
>>
>> for a 64-bit build of Python 3.2.2.
>
> An oddity occurs here. Yes, x86-64 is the right installer, maybe. While
> noting your msg, my PC got very slow, and I ended up going to a related
> site for the downloads of 3.2.2 while trying for the one above.
> <http://www.python.org/download/>.
>
> It shows:
> Also look at the detailed Python 3.2.2 page:
>
> * Python 3.2.2 Windows x86 MSI Installer (Windows binary -- does not
> include source)
> * Python 3.2.2 Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (Windows AMD64 / Intel 64 /
> X86-64 binary [1] -- does not include source)
>
> The first of the two choices does not say x-bit anything. The second
> looks off course for my HP 64-bit PC.
>
> I'm going to just use Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (3.2.2).
>
> Wait a minute Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (3.2.2). Windows X86-64 MSI
> Installer (3.2.2) shows it's associated with Visual Studio. Why would I
> want that? Ah, I get it The single first line has Windows X86-64 MSI
> Installer (3.2.2) and Visual Studio. That's a really weird way to
> arrange them. OK, now off to Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (3.2.2)
>
> I'll be back shortly after I've made the install.

I surrender. IDLE does not appear as a choice when I right-click on a py
file.

IDLE is on the All Programs list, and if I click on it, something more
or less seems to happen, but it does not reveal anything. There is a
comparability choice there that asks what OS did it last run on.
Unfortunately the choices were VISTA (service packs) and Win7. I
selected Win7 but it didn't help. Off to bed soon.