Both Python 2.5.2 and 2.7.2 flop the same way under Win 7

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Fri Nov 18 17:31:54 EST 2011

On 11/17/11 8:34 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
> On 11/17/2011 7:04 PM, alex23 wrote:
>> On Nov 18, 2:55 am, "W. eWatson"<wolftra... at invalid.com>  wrote:
>>> Comments?
>>
>> Are you using the vanilla installer or ActiveState's ActivePython? I
>> find the latter integrates better with Windows.
>>
>> Also, out of curiousity, 32 or 64 bit Windows?
> 64-bit and plain old python msi installer.

That'd be it, I expect.

Windows has two parallel registry trees; if you launch a 32-bit program,
it sees one.. if you launch a 64-bit program, it sees the other. What
looks like the exact same keys can be different as a result.

The MSI is probably writing the keys into the 32-bit registry, and
Explorer is now a 64-bit application.

You can add the associations for Edit manually. Though not to
"idle.pyw", which you keep -- repeatedly -- saying you try and errors.
Of course it errors. That's a python script, not an executable.

Associate to pythonw.exe, and pass it the path to idle.pyw, and then -n
-e "%1" -- which will be replaced with the actual filename. But you were
told that already and seem to have just dismissed it out of hand.

Like: PATH\pythonw.exe PATH\idle.pyw -n -e "%1"

... where PATH is whatever the location of those files are in your
environment.

Yes, its moderately annoying that you have to do this yourself; maybe
you wouldn't if you installed 64-bit python, but I can't be sure. Maybe
it has nothing to do with 32 or 64-bitness at all and my guess is wrong.
Maybe your profile has gone wonky. But it doesn't matter. You can add
the Edit association yourself. Its a one-time fix.

--

   Stephen Hansen
   ... Also: Ixokai