Both Python 2.5.2 and 2.7.2 flop the same way under Win 7

W. eWatson wolftracks at invalid.com
Fri Nov 18 10:29:56 EST 2011

On 11/18/2011 5:11 AM, Neil Cerutti wrote:
> On 2011-11-18, W. eWatson<wolftracks at invalid.com>  wrote:

>>> If you associate .pyw files with pythonw.exe, and then open idle.pyw,
>>> does it work?
>>>
>>> Failing that, go to your laptop where the associations are right, and see
>>> what they are, then duplicate the settings on your Windows 7 machine.
>>
>> Sounds like a good idea except I've not used associations in so
>> long under XP, I have no idea where to start. Control Panel. My
>> Computer Tools?
>
> Open Windows Explorer.
> With the menu, to to Tools->Folder Options
> Click the File Types tab in the Folder Options menu.
>
> There will be an upper view with registered filed types, and some
> buttons below far making changes to them.

OK, I've found that. I see
Py
Pyc
Pyo
Pyw
If I click on each, it basically it gives a short description of each.
If I click advanced, there's more info. For example for py, Actions are
IDLE and Open.

What does this tell me that's relevant to Win7?

If on Win7, I go to Default Programs I see under associations various
python items. Py shows Unknown application. Since installing 2.7.2 I
have not messed with these associations. If I right-click on Unknown, I
see Notepad and python.exe for choices to open the file. I want neither.
Why isn't IDLE listed there?

If I right-click on junk.py, I see "Open with".  Notepad and python.exe
are choices. However, that menu allows me to choose something else. For
example, Adobe Reader, or Internet Explorer. I suppose the next question
is should I use the browse there and try to connect to IDLE in
...\Lib\idlelib?  My guess is that if I do, I will run into the "invalid
Win32 app", when I try to use it.