Both Python 2.5.2 and 2.7.2 flop the same way under Win 7

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 20:55:56 EST 2011

On 17/11/2011 23:54, W. eWatson wrote:
<cut>
> My mistake above. I was talking about the previous 2.5.2 of install in
> Win7. Where I'm at is 2.7.2 now. However, I still find in very odd there
> is no Edit with IDLE when I right-click on junk.py. That's the way it
> worked on 2.5.2 on my XP and earlier, 2010, on Win7. Downright frustrating.

Well if I was still a windows administrator and you would be one of my
users, I would first make sure that your profile or windows installation
is not pooped as it definitively smells like that.

After being reassured that this is not the case I would then search the
interwebs for something like "extending right click context menu".

Probably hitting something like this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/how-can-i-customize-right-click-mouse-context-menu/5ea7104f-2213-41b9-9933-83f25da086d1

And after that searching where this 'idle' you speak of is actually
located, probably finding something like this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/118260/how-to-start-idle-python-editor-without-using-the-shortcut-on-windows-vista

Then it rest me to combine them both, after promising myself not to
install one version of a particular program 'for all users' and then
'updating' for 'only me' as this can screw up the default settings quite
badly.

But hey I haven't been a win admin since I switched over to FreeBSD
years and years ago. I find it immensely reassuring that the problems I
encounter on my systems are all my fault, well actually that is just the
same as with windows, just less obvious there.

Luckily I am no longer an administrator either as I couldn't stand it
anymore when users spill their frustrations, although perfectly
understandable, unto those who are actually willing to help.

Something to do with attitude or so, speaking if which, I do apologize
for my own attitude, but given the choice of just ignoring you or lacing
my post with patronization I though that the latter one was the least
bad of them two.

--
mph