Both Python 2.5.2 and 2.7.2 flop the same way under Win 7

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Nov 17 17:12:44 EST 2011

On 11/17/2011 11:55 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
> Months ago 2.5.2 stopped functioning on my Win7 PC, so a few days ago I
> uninstalled and installed. Same problem. If one right-clicks on a py
> file, IDLE is not shown in the menu as Edit with IDLE. After playing
> with matters I gave up, and uninstalled 2.5.2 and turned to 2.7.2. Same
> results.
>
> If I look at a 2.4 install on my laptop, I get the desired reference to
> Edit with IDLE.
>
> My guess is that Win 7 is behind this. If so, it's good-bye Python.

I installed 3.3.2 on a new Win 7 machine and Edit with IDLE works fine.
However, I almost never use that with Explorer to open files. I have
IDLE pinned to the task bar so it is one click to start. If I edit a
file, I want to run it, so I want a shell window open anyway. I usually
open files to edit with the first three entries under the File menu: New
File, Open, or Recent Files. Once I open a file in a particular
directory (usually with Recent Files), Open initially looks for files in
the same directory, which is usually what I want. So say hello again to
Python, especially Python 3.

--
Terry Jan Reedy