python shell that saves history of typed in commands that will persist between reboots

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Nov 16 18:59:27 EST 2011

David Robinow <drobinow at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > I don't know about MS Windows, but the Python interactive shell can be
> > linked with the GNU Readline library for managing its command line
> > <URL:http://docs.python.org/library/readline.html>
[…]

> > Reading the documentation, I see that the ‘readline’ library is only
> > linked with Python on Unix-alike operating systems.

>  I'm not sure what documentation you're reading

The same documentation I linked to above. Immediately below the title,
it specifies a limited set of platforms: “Platforms: Unix” limiting the
availability of the described module.

> but your code works fine on Windows. Thanks.

I'm glad to know that. Perhaps you could investigate why, and suggest an
update to the above documentation if it's wrong? The bug tracker at
<URL:http://bugs.python.org/> would be the appropriate place for such a
suggestion.

--
 \        “Intellectual property is to the 21st century what the slave |
  `\                              trade was to the 16th.” —David Mertz |