Py2.7/FreeBSD: maximum number of open files

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Mon Nov 14 12:13:12 EST 2011

Am 14.11.2011 18:03, schrieb Tobias Oberstein:
> This is unbelievable.
>
> I've just tested: the bug (in libc) is still there on FreeBSD 8.2 p3 ... both on i386
> _and_ amd64.
>
> Now I'm f***d;(
>
> A last chance: is it possible to compile Python for not using libc fopen(),
> but the Posix open()?
>
> Thanks anyway for this hint!

A fix would break the ABI compatibility. I guess that you won't see a
fix for the issue until FreeBSD 9.0 is released.

And no, you can't re-compile Python to use the open() API instead of
fopen(). The built-in file type is developed around the file pointer
API, not the file descriptor API. Luckily Python 2.7 has a backport of
Python 3.x new IO library. The new IO API doesn't use file pointers at
all and implements its own layer around file descriptors. Good luck!

Christian