my new project, is this the right way?

Jon Clements joncle at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 14 11:37:01 EST 2011

On Nov 14, 10:41 am, Tracubik <affdfsdfds... at b.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> i'm developing a new program.
> Mission: learn a bit of database management
> Idea: create a simple, 1 window program that show me a db of movies i've
> seen with few (<10) fields (actors, name, year etc)
> technologies i'll use: python + gtk
> db: that's the question
>
> since i'm mostly a new-bye for as regard databases, my idea is to use
> sqlite at the beginning.
>
> Is that ok? any other db to start with? (pls don't say mysql or similar,
> they are too complex and i'll use this in a second step)
>
> is there any general tutorial of how to start developing a database? i
> mean a general guide to databases you can suggest to me?
> Thank you all
>
> MedeoTL
>
> P.s. since i have a ods sheet files (libreoffice calc), is there a way to
> easily convert it in a sqlite db? (maybe via csv)

I would recommend working through the book "SQL for Dummies". I found
it very clear, and slowly leads you into how to think about design,
not just how to manipulate databases.

Instead of using Python to start with consider using OOo Base or MS
Access (retching noise), so you can use RAD to play with structure and
manipulation of your data and create data-entry forms -- this'll allow
you to enter data, and play with queries and the structure -- as you
won't get it right the first time! You will be able to get either of
these programs to give you the SQL that constructs tables, or makes
queries etc...

That'd be enough to keep you going for a couple of weeks I guess.

Also, some things make more sense in a NoSQL database, so have a look
at something like MongoDB or CouchDB and how their design works
differently.

That's probably another couple of weeks.

Also worth checking out would be http://dabodev.com

hth

Jon.