AW: Py2.7/FreeBSD: maximum number of open files

Tobias Oberstein tobias.oberstein at tavendo.de
Mon Nov 14 11:36:37 EST 2011

> I'm not familiar with BSD but Linux has similar Kernel options. The kernel
> options might be *global* flags to set the total upper limit of open file
> descriptors for the entire system, not for a single process.
> Also on Linux "ulimit" doesn't display the fd limit. You have to use "ulimit -n".

This is a dedicated machine doing nothing else .. I'm monitoring global FD usage

sysctl kern.openfiles

and it's way beyond the configured limit

$ ulimit -n
200000

> Why do you need more than 32k file descriptors anyway? It's an insanely high

It's not for files:

This is a network service .. I tested it with up to 50k TCP connections .. however
at this point, when the service tries to open a file, it'll bail out.

Sockets+Files both contribute to open FDs.

I need 50k sockets + 100 files.

Thus, this is even more strange: the Python (a Twisted service) will happily
accept 50k sockets, but as soon as you do open() a file, it'll bail out.