my new project, is this the right way?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 05:55:43 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Tracubik <affdfsdfdsfsd at b.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> i'm developing a new program.
> Mission: learn a bit of database management

If your goal is to learn about databasing, then I strongly recommend a
real database engine.

> since i'm mostly a new-bye for as regard databases, my idea is to use
> sqlite at the beginning.
>
> Is that ok? any other db to start with? (pls don't say mysql or similar,
> they are too complex and i'll use this in a second step)

The complexity, in most cases, is a direct consequence of the job at
hand. I recommend PostgreSQL generally, although I've never used it
with Python and can't speak for the quality of the APIs.

The most important thing to consider is a separation of the back end
(the "guts") from the front end (the "interface"). Since your goal is
to explore databases, the guts of your code will basically just be
working with the database (no heavy computation or anything). Make
sure you can work with that, separately from your GUI. You may find it
easier to dispense with GTK and just work through the console; you can
always change later to make a pretty window.

If you've never worked with databases before, it may be best to skip
Python altogether and explore the fundamentals of relational database
engines. There's plenty of excellent tutorials on the web. Get to know
how things are done generally, and you'll be able to figure out how
things are done in Python.

All the best!

ChrisA