can't decompress data; zlib not available

Tim Wintle tim.wintle at teamrubber.com
Sun Nov 13 16:55:05 EST 2011

On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 11:17 -0700, Steve Edlefsen wrote:

> which appears to install zlib when python is reinstalled.  Except I
> can't run make without errors and there is no configuration file.
>
> How do I reinstall python to include zlib?

Which OS are you on? Linux? BSD?

How did you install Plone?

First I'd check if there's a module shadowing the builtin zlib module -
i.e. if you've got a local file called "zlib.py" which is getting
imported by mistake.

Fairly much all *nix systems will have a python installation out of the
box - it looks like you need python2.6

I've never had a missing zlib module - but it's possible that it might
be missing if you don't have the zlib/deflate headers installed - if
they're not available then I'd try installing them and then reinstalling
the package you started with.

Tim Wintle