No matter what I do, IDLE will not work...

CAMERON ALLEY cra5370 at g.rit.edu
Thu Nov 10 18:27:49 EST 2011

On Nov 10, 6:11 pm, John Gordon <gor... at panix.com> wrote:
> In <3c2688bd-4f87-4eb1-9b40-3cb536a2d... at e3g2000vbs.googlegroups.com> CAMERON ALLEY <cra5... at g.rit.edu> writes:
>
> > Okay, so the problem. I tried to install Python 2.7 about two months
> > ago on both my laptop and iMac. Both are running up-to-date Mac OS X
> > 10.6, with 64-bit processors and around 2.4GHz speed and 2G of RAM. My
> > laptop installed python 2.7 and ran it perfectly, first time. My
> > desktop... not so much.
>
> IDLE is a separate program from Python itself, right?  It's a GUI, or an
> IDE, or a shell or something.
>
> (Your session output doesn't seem to involve IDLE at all, so I am
> wondering why you mentioned it.)
>
> By typing "python" on your desktop, are you running plain Python, or
> are you running IDLE?
>
> Did you install Python and IDLE on the desktop machine separately?
> Did both installations succeed?
>
> --
> John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
> gor... at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears
>                                 -- Edward Gorey, "The Gashlycrumb Tinies"

Thanks for the prompt response - yes, IDLE is a seperate program from
python, however included in the Python 2.7.2 folder when downloaded
from python.org. It's an IDE. I mentioned it, because when I try to
open it, I also get an error report, so I figured it wouldn't be
coincidence.

I'm not typing "python" on my desktop, I'm typing it in terminal with
no change of default directory. It runs plain python THROUGH terminal,
and when I import turtle, and call turtle.up() it should in theory
display an image of whatever I asked turtle to draw (in this case
nothing, but the window should still pop up.)

I installed two things on the desktop - python2.7.2 from python.org
and the respective ActiveTK. Both succeeded.