easy_install doesn't install non-package *.py file

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Thu Nov 10 04:08:12 EST 2011

Hey. I don't know the details, but your setup.py needs to use either the 'package_data' or the 'data_files' entry in the dict you pass to setup. These can specify files you want included in the sdist which aren't package files.

There are many complications with using them though. One of them in particular (I don't remember which one) installs the files you specify in a different place depending on whether the user is installing the sdist from local files (python setup.py install) or using pip, so be sure to test both ways.