Python ORMs Supporting POPOs and Substituting Layers in Django

Travis Parks jehugaleahsa at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 21:21:52 EST 2011

On Nov 7, 12:44 pm, John Gordon <gor... at panix.com> wrote:
> In <j98tnf$qh... at reader1.panix.com> John Gordon <gor... at panix.com> writes:
>
> > In <415d875d-bc6d-4e69-bcf8-39754b450... at n18g2000vbv.googlegroups.com> Travis Parks <jehugalea... at gmail.com> writes:
> > > Which web frameworks have people here used and which have they found
> > > to be: scalable, RAD compatible, performant, stable and/or providing
> > > good community support? I am really trying to get as much feedback as
> > I've used Django and it seems to be a very nice framework.  However I've
> > only done one project so I haven't delved too deeply.
>
> You are probably looking for more detail than "It's a nice framework" :-)
>
> The database model in Django is powerful; it allows you to do queries in
> native Python code without delving into backend SQL stuff.
>
> I don't know how scalable/performant the database model is, as the one
> project I worked on didn't deal with a ton of data.  (But I'd be surprised
> if it had poor performance.)
>
> The URL dispatcher provides a very nice and logical way to associate a
> given URL with a given method call.
>
> Community support is excellent.
>
> --
> John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
> gor... at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears
>                                 -- Edward Gorey, "The Gashlycrumb Tinies"

I started the battle today. The "new guy" was trying to sell me on
CodeIgnitor. I haven't looked at it, but it is PHP, so I really want
to avoid it. The good thing is that all of his "friends" have been
telling him to get into Python. I have been trying to convince him
that PHP isn't cut out for background services and is mostly a front-
end language. Python is much more geared towards hardcore data
processing. Why write the system in two languages?

I have been spending a lot of time looking at the Pyramid project: the
next generation of the Pylons project. It looks powerful, but it seems
to be a lot more complex than Django.