Python lesson please

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Mon Nov 7 04:00:02 EST 2011

gene heskett wrote:

> Greetings experts:
>
> I just dl'd the duqu driver finder script from a link to NSS on /., and
> fixed enough of the tabs in it to make it run error-free.  At least python
> isn't having a litter of cows over the indentation now.
>
> But it also runs instantly on linux.
>
> This line looks suspect to me:
>  rootdir = sys.argv[1]
>
> And I have a suspicion it is null on a linux box.
>
> How can I fix that best?

Are you talking about this one?

https://github.com/halsten/Duqu-detectors/blob/master/DuquDriverPatterns.py

With a current checkout I don't get any tab-related (nor other) errors, so I
would prefer to run the script as-is. Also, the  README clearly states that
you have to invoke it with

python DuquDriverPatterns.py ./directoryOfMalware

and the line you are quoting then puts the value "./directoryOfMalware" into
the rootdir variable.

If you want to normalize the code to 4-space indents I recomment that you
use

http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/bbc929bc2224/Tools/scripts/reindent.py

On Ubuntu (and probably any other Debian-based distro) you'll find a version
of that in

/usr/share/doc/python2.6/examples/Tools/scripts/reindent.py

or similar once you've installed the python-examples package.