python-based downloader (youtube-dl) missing critical feature ...

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Nov 4 08:32:08 EDT 2011

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 11:48:02 +0000, lbrt chx _ gemale wrote:

> python-based youtube-dl
> ~
>  http://rg3.github.com/youtube-dl/
> ~
>  is sorely missing a flag in order to indicate the maximum file length
>  of the data feed it would download (well, unless, for some reason, it
>  is considered a "feature").

If you are making a feature request, you should make it directly to the
project developer, and not here.

Since you consider that feature "shouldn't be hard at all" (your words),
perhaps you should consider providing a patch? Don't forget the
documentation and tests for it.

Or did you mean "it shouldn't be hard for me, if somebody else does the
work"?

> ~
>  I wonder what developers were thinking about when they came up this
>  nice piece of code. If you actually look in the code
[...]

Lbrtchx, it's possible that English is not your natural language. Please
be aware that, in English, "what they were thinking..." is often used
sarcastically, as in "they weren't actually thinking". Particularly
following your use of scare quotes around "feature".

(Even more so for the similar form, "what were they thinking?".)

It's probably not going to help you get a feature added to the project if
you imply (even by accident) that lack of that feature is an indication
that the developer wasn't thinking.

--
Steven