Design Pattern and Python: Any book recommendation? Your view?

John Roth johnroth1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 08:28:23 EDT 2011

On Nov 3, 6:33 pm, Anthony Kong <anthony.hw.k... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry to resurrect this topic. By google search the last discussion was in 2003.
>
> I would like to find out what is the current prevailing view or consensus (if any) on the use of Design Pattern in python?
>
> I am doing some 'fact-finding' in this area on request of my colleagues. Some of them want to buy a book or two in this subject area. Hopefully the newsgroup can give me some book recommendation and insight in this topic.
>
> I myself pretty much subscribe to the view that the nature of python language actually do away much of the need of the use of DP, but it is just a personal view. It comes form my experience of migrating from webware4py (webframework based on J2EE/servlet idea) to cherrypy

I don't know of a book on design patterns in Python. I've got a couple
of observations.

The first is that if you use TDD (Test Driven Development) and
refactor relentlessly to remove duplication, most of the basic design
patterns will emerge naturally from the code as you work.

The second is that, as far as I'm concerned, the utility of a design
patterns book is in the discussion of what the pattern is good for,
and what it isn't good for. That is, as another poster says, language
agnostic.

John Roth