Disable readline

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Nov 30 23:17:49 EST 2011

Is there a way to disable readline support in the interactive interpreter
at runtime? Either from within an existing session, or when the session
starts up will do.

I am trying to test the behaviour of some interactive scripts which rely
on readline. I have work-arounds for missing readline (such as on Windows
systems) but no way to test them properly on Linux.

If all else fails, are there any traps or pitfalls in installing a second
Python installation with readline support disabled?

Any other suggestions?

--
Steven