import _tclinter error in python 2.7.1 Itanium build

Wong Wah Meng-R32813 r32813 at freescale.com
Wed Nov 23 04:54:22 EST 2011

Hello there,

I am in the midst of converting my application code from python 1.5.2 to python 2.7.1.

In the build of my python 2.7.1 on Itanium 64-bit HP11.3 platform, I noticed my Tkinter module was built and linked successfully, that I am able to import the module and use it. However, I just found out that my application that utilizes Tcl/Tk code, somehow wants to use _tclinter, instead of using _tkinter (In fact I have a Tkinter.py file) . The only comment I can see from the author is "Have Pic use Tclinter instead of Tkinter to allow Pic to start with a valid  X Display". That comment was left at the time python 1.5.2 and tcl/tk 8.1 (maybe) was used and I am not sure if the same issue is applicable to the current version of python and tcl/tk.

However, the question I want to ask is, I build python when tcl/tk files are both available, why only tk is detected and built-in with python, not tcl?

$ python
Python 2.7.1 (r271:86832, Oct  6 2011, 11:10:10) [C] on hp-ux11
>>> import Tkinter
>>> import Tclinter
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "Tclinter.py", line 5, in <module>
    import _tclinter # If this fails your Python is not configured for Tcl
ImportError: No module named _tclinter
>>> import _tclinter
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>