scope of function parameters (take two)

Henry Olders henry.olders at mcgill.ca
Tue May 31 02:37:47 EDT 2011

On 2011-05-31, at 1:13 , Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:

> what you really seem to want is that a function by default
> cannot have any side effects (you have a side effect if a
> function changes things outside of its local scope). But
> that would be a very different language than python

You're partially right - what I want is a function that is free of side effects back through the parameters passed in the function call. Side effects via globals or print statements is fine by me.

python seems to be undergoing changes all the time. List comprehensions were added in python 2.0, according to wikipedia. I like list comprehensions and use them all the time because they are powerful and concise.

> did you read the link Steven gave you?
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2010-December/080505.html

Yes, I did, thanks.

Henry