scope of function parameters (take two)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue May 31 01:20:12 EDT 2011

Daniel Kluev <dan.kluev at gmail.com> writes:

> On a sidenote, I wonder what is the reason to keep word 'variable' in
> python documentation at all. I believe word 'name' represents concept
> better, and those, who come from other languages, would be less likely
> to associate wrong definitions with it.

I agree, but the term “variable” is used freely within the Python
development team to refer to Python's name-to-object bindings, and that
usage isn't likely to stop through our efforts.

So the burden is unfortunately on us to teach each newbie that this
often-used term means something other than what they might expect.

--
 \           “In case you haven't noticed, [the USA] are now almost as |
  `\     feared and hated all over the world as the Nazis were.” —Kurt |